Sunday, August 22, 2010

Can-Am Police and Fire Games 2010: Street Sprints


I had no idea what to expect for the street sprints. I'd never done it before, and I'm not usually much of a sprinter. The event consisted of a 500m section of road that had "lanes" set up for 300m. After that, the entire road was open for you to use for the final 200m, which meant that you were pretty much getting up to speed for the first section, then using strategy for the second part where you could draft, or try to breakaway, etc. There would be 3 heats for points for the overall win.
It was hot. The temp gauge on my truck said 96 degrees, and there were reports of 85% humidity. I was disappointed to learn that we had several "no shows" in my category, which meant that there was only 2 of us competing against each other. However my competitor just happened to mention during conversation that he was a Cat 2 USAC racer! Psychological warfare, maybe, but it may have worked to his disadvantage. I told myself that I would have to work my hardest and exert 110% effort to stay competitive against him. Which is exactly what I did.
Lining up in the starting gates, we were side-by-side when the first whistle blew. Off we went! At the end of the lanes, I purposely hesitated for a moment, letting him pull ahead of me. I tucked in behind him, drafting for about 100m. on the final 100m, I launched around him and sprinted hard for the win. I was excited...I had just out sprinted a Cat 2 in an event that I'd never done before! On the way back to the starting gates, he stated that he was disappointed because he didn't realize that we could draft each other, etc. I thought, "It's not my fault that you didn't take advantage of the same race strategy that I did..." however, when we lined up for our second heat, I figured that I didn't want him to say that I only won because I was sneaky. So, I figured that I would pace myself coming down the lanes, and then stay beside him until he was ready to turn up the heat, and try to out-sprint him man-to-man. At the whistle, down the lanes we went again. I did exactly what I wanted to do; I stayed beside him, and when he stood up to sprint, I hammered for the finish line beat him again!!! My heart rate went into the 180's as I crossed the finish line. This time, on the way back to the starting gates, my competitor was complaining again. "That sucked" he said, "I dropped my chain when we stood up to sprint." I could see where this was going. I'd beaten him twice and he'd complained, and had an excuse each time. Okay, I thought, we're going to settle this man-to-man. When we got back to the starting gates, he was loudly chatting with a friend of his, complaining about his supposed mechanical problem (which I never saw or heard, by the way). When he was finished with his conversation, I quietly said, "I'll tell you what...this time, when they blow the whistle, you and me go at it...100% drag race. No drafting, or bullshit. We'll just go ALL OUT for the finish line." "OK", he said. We lined back up in the gates, and I knew that this was it...I'd have to throw everything I have left into the pedals, because this time he's coming with it. The whistle blew. I slammed my strength into the pedals and down the lane I went. I had tunnel vision: all I could focus on was the end of my lane, and beyond that: the finish line. At the end of the lane, he was about a half bike length ahead of me. With about 150m to go, I stood up and went as hard as I could, holding NOTHING back. I saw myself start to pass him, so I tried EVEN HARDER! As I approached the finish line, I was a few lengths in front of him, and I saw him sit up...but I just kept hammering!! I had  beaten him fair-and-square...head to head. Another Gold medal!
Dennis and Ramon both earned silver in their events, keeping the ball rolling for CRFP Cycling, with medals in every event!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!