Saturday, April 16, 2011

RGS Chantilly Crit 2011, etc.


Today was the 2011 RGS Chantilly Crit. It was also my first Cat 4 race. First of all, I have to give credit to the organizers and registration volunteers for helping me out. I upgraded mid-week last week, and I was already registered for the Cat 5 race. So a big thank you to them for getting me switched to the right class. Let me say that going into today's race, the weather outlook was less-than-optimal. The weatherman was calling for severe rain and wind. For once, he got it right. The men's Cat 4 race started at 1015, and the rain was definitely coming down. The wind was also horrible on the back side of the course. Anyone caught alone on the hill (without a draft) would surely be left to fend for themselves. We started with a registered field of 72. I'm not sure how many, if any didn't show, but I know the field felt fairly large. I wasn't nervous a bit (which is a nice change for me!). I had my sunglasses on for the first 2 laps, hoping to shield my eyes from the rain, but they quickly fogged and I had to toss them to my son as I rode by. I hung on until about the 10th lap or so, and then got caught exactly where I didn't want to be...off the back, up hill, in the wind. Woops. I tried to catch back on for about a lap, but soon realized that the group was just riding away from me. At this point, I decided just to ride at my own pace, and get in some good laps. Every few laps, I caught and passed the occasional guy that got shelled off the back like I did earlier. Eventually, I caught up with and rode to the finish with a group of 4 others, so I did have the opportunity to work with some other guys and ride it *somewhat* like a race. Drafting, however, was near impossible, since there was so much water coming off of everybody's wheels. Click on the picture above, and you'll see what we were dealing with! I cruised into the finish in a cool 44th place, no worse for the wear. Coming off of the big crash at Richmond a few weeks ago, I'm just glad I stayed upright. Not to mention in my first Cat 4 race. In the rain.

So afterwards, when I was back at my truck getting some warm, dry clothing on, I couldn't stop laughing about the race. I had so much fun riding in those conditions. Even though I got shelled off the back, I was happy with my ride. I haven't done intervals in probably 5 weeks, and I don't have much leg power right now, but my lungs feel awesome. Even with my HR in the mid 170's, I didn't struggle to breathe at all. My target events aren't until August, so I'm not too worried just yet. I did, however, realize how much I enjoy this sport! I may not have the lightest bike, or the biggest legs, but I can promise that I'm having just as much fun as the next guy. AND I'm in pretty good shape for 34 year old guy.

Tomorrow we're racing the Carl Dolan Memorial. The winds are forecasted to be gusting to 40mph. Wait, I said I liked this sport, right??

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on upgrading, and staying upright during the race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the cat 4 race as well. I had to laugh as well - I wore goggles in order to not get something drilled in the eyes. Problem was that after a half-lap I couldn't see. And I spent the next lap or two trying to figure out what to do. Another problem was that I was semi-frozen so I think my brain was working slow. I spent the entire race in a situation where I was just trying to NOT do stupid stuff. I must say, however, that the next time I here "on your inside" I'm gonna say "I know, I'm on your outside". I'm surprised that there were no crashes - there were certainly lots of opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget the quote of the race, perhaps of the year..."See you at the line!!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, Tom, it's evident that since I'm a Cat4 now, I need to grow my hair in a Euro-mullet, pull my socks high, and grab a cappuccino mid-training ride. I had no idea that Cat4 is where the "real" men hang! Whatever you do, don't hold the field up while you take your jacket off, or you'll get your ass whooped. At the line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waive.

    Congrats on the upgrade and meeting your two goals. The wind really was terrible. I would guess it was blowing about 20mph during the Cat5, my race, but I think it got worse later in the day. Between the wind on the left, and the hill on the right, the 5 race stayed intact as well -- nothing but a determined break was going to get away, and in the 5 race, no one wanted to work together to make that happen.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!