Tuesday, December 27, 2011

After a few months worth of lifting weights and general aerobic fitness, things are back into full swing for me. I'm in an aerobic period and currently targeting sub-threshold intensity levels. Something that I found that has been working well, is 2x20 type workouts. I'll list a sample below. I was amazed at how difficult it really was to complete the first time...just goes to show how specific bike training can be. 

15 min Warm-up:  easy aerobic pedaling
5 min All-out effort: 100% FTP 
20 min interval: sub-threshold 88-94% FTP
10 min recovery pedaling
20 min interval: sub-threshold 88-94% FTP
Recovery pedal, cool down, or finish with high cadence drills
*the 2 x20 intervals can be replaced with 3x10, 3x12, 3x15 depending on current fitness...but strive for 2x20

I'm also in the middle of purchasing my new ride for next year. I figure 2 years of crit racing a Kestrel Talon (fully built with power tap wheel comes in around 22 lbs!) is enough. I have already bought a set of new Mavic Cosmic Carbone SR's and a Quarq Cinco power meter. I previously ordered a new Tarmac SL4, but Specialized pushed the back order
back another 2 months, so I ordered just the frame to build. There has been no response from the factory yet, so I figure they have about a week to at least contact me before I just go with something else. I'm not a patient person.

Other than that, I am just waiting for some races to start hitting the schedule. I am attending a power clinic by Hunter Allen in January and hopefully racing the Sea Otter Classic in April...all on my quest towards Cat 3. Maybe with the new iPad that I got for Christmas, blogging will be a little bit easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!