Thursday, January 12, 2012

Share the road, much?

My local state laws state that in order to ride my bike on the road, I must 1) wear a helmet, 2) have a warning light, and 3) stay as far to the right as is safely possible.

Here's bit of video that I captured on my new GoPro HD2 the other day. As you can see, I'm riding as far to the right side of the road as I can be. I am also wearing a helmet and using a flashing red light on my bike (which you can't see in the screen, of course). Watch how much of a hurry the white pickup truck is in. Then, watch as he forces another car off the road, because he passes on a solid line, on a blind rolling hill. The raw video shows his license plate CLEARLY. I contacted a friend of mine who is a sheriff's deputy, but unfortunately, it's impossible to prove who was driving the truck.
I should also say here, that about 30 minutes prior to this video, I was nearly hit...as I was SITTING STILL at a stop sign. A full size pickup blew the sign as he was turning right, and almost clobbered me. Luckily, I saw him at the last second, and refrained from moving forward. His window was down, so I yelled, "I guess you missed the stop sign?"...to which he replied with a middle finger. HA! Suddenly, I'M the asshole, because this guy couldn't take the time to stop at the sign. *...sigh...*

Some of the residents in this area are apparently opposing the "Share The Road" signs that have been placed throughout the 2 neighboring counties here. I can't imagine that it would bother somebody THAT much, as they drive past the yellow signs, that they would want them taken down. Surely, none of these people have read the state driving laws to see whether or not they have a leg to stand on in regards to opposing cyclists on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!