Saturday, April 3, 2010

Morgantown Road Race (APRRS #1)

Today's race was another tough one. 4500 feet of climbing, with CRAZY winds. Immediately after the start, I jumped up front and stayed in 5th place for about 12 miles or so. This was a mistake. The entire time I was up there, my HR was around 180. Way too high. On the second climb, I couldn't keep it up anymore, and got dropped off the back of the pack, which is where I stayed. My legs were so dead, that on one of the climbs, I looked down and realized that I was going 4 mph! At least I can say that I finished the race, under my own power. I know, it's not as glorious as staying head-to-head with the competition, but after I realized that I wasn't going to finish with the group, it basically became a survival game. The wind was so strong, that I almost got blown sideways off my bike at the top of one of the mountains. I hate wind.

Next weekend's race looks a little easier. It's on a circuit, and less than half the length. I just need to learn to ride my own race, and not worry about trying to keep up with some of the other guys.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very proud of you and all of your accomplishments!! You never gave up - although I know it would've been much easier to! Way to go! Now...on to the next one!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!