Sunday, August 21, 2011

8/20/11- Another attempt at "The Great White Buffalo" route

A few weeks ago, a friend/teammate/training partner and I came up with a route that looked and sounded like a good ride. We took a ride that he has done in the past, that is very scenic, and winds through some of the nicest back roads in the county, then we added a loop that I ride sometimes, through some of the back roads in the southern end of our county. The total course is just over 60 miles. In theory, it's a great ride. I say that because, in 3 attempts, we still haven't been able to complete the route in it's entirety! During our attempts, we've amassed 2 flats, 1 crash (with a broken derailleur hanger), and 1 "bonk. Yesterday, I figured I'd give it another try...solo this time. I ended up running out of fluids around mile 47, and had to shorten the ride and head for home. So it still hasn't been finished!

Since I got my power meter, nearly a month ago, I've been collecting and evaluating as much data as I can. Slowly, I'm learning some of the more technical things, such as TSS, ATL, CTL, Intensity Factor, etc. Here's a few things that I found interesting from yesterday's ride (and my fitness).

Using PowerAgent software (which I LOVE and is FREE, downloaded from CycleOps website), I'm able to "segment" any part of my ride and save it as a new interval. I compared my last attempt (with a total group of 3 riders to share the work load), with my solo ride yesterday until the same spot where the crash occurred. Here is a chart with the interesting facts:
So, basically, in order to do the same work alone, my HR was nearly 20bpm higher, I had to maintain a higher average power (although I had some more powerful bursts with the group, as evidenced by my normalized power...which is what I think drove up my TSS and Intensity Factor). Just goes to show how much working as a group and drafting really does save energy. With a group of 3, my HR was 11% lower, and my Norm. Power was 4% higher. So, in short, I did more work with less energy.

I love seeing this raw data, because the numbers always tell the truth. I can't tell you how much material I've read about riding, racing, and training, but it's nice to see the numbers for myself...from rides that I personally did. I'm not sure when The Great White Buffalo will finally get slayed, but it's already proven to be a useful route.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!