Friday, January 29, 2010

Lots of wind and climbing

Yesterday's ride was crazy. There were sustained wind speeds of 31mph, with gusts up to 38mph. We rode for 2 hours, only managing 25 miles. To be fair, we did climb 2 mountains, for a total of 3316' of climbing. At one point, it was all I could do to maintain a little over 8mph on a flat.

With all the climbing, I discovered that my new double setup (standard 53x39 crankset with 12-25 cassette) actually works ok. I was able to keep up with a friend who was climbing on a compact setup with a 12-27 cassette. I think my muscles are beginning to adapt to the heavier pedaling, but at this point I believe I'm having a cadence issue. My average cadence yesterday was 65!! Last year, most of my rides were averaging between 85-90. I may switch to a 12-27 cassette if I can find one cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!