Tuesday, September 8, 2009

CTS Training Regimen

Today, I did some resistance training at the gym. Included legs, chest, back, and abs. I'm trying to taper my riding a little bit to prepare for a small race this weekend. It's a fairly short race, at 29 miles, on relatively flat terrain. I think the total elevation gain doesn't exceed 1100 miles. Should be a good test of my conditioning this far, and give me a decent indication as to where I stand, preparing for a full season in the Spring.

For the next 12 months, I will follow a workout that is outlined and described by Chris Carmichael in his book, "The Ultimate Ride". There's a ton of great info in the book, I highly recommend it.

Here's my periodization schedule:
Sept., Oct., and Nov. will be "Foundation" months. This will basically be a period for building a solid aerobic system. There won't be a lot of anaerobic work, just a bunch of solid work to build a foundation to build upon. I suspect (as confirmed by my VO2 Max test the other day) that I've got a decent base already, but might as well be sure!
Dec., Jan., and Feb. will be "Preparation" months. During this time, the length of workouts may shorten, but the intensity will start to increase, as I begin to push my lactate threshold a little more. Hopefully, this will start to build some good pedal force, and give me some good power both in and out of the anaerobic zone.
Mar. and April will be for "Specialization". This is where my cycling will hopefully begin to really take form, as I continue to build specific skills needed to successfully race. Some of these workouts will also be pretty intense.
May, hopefully, will be a peak month for me. This should be when I am  at my peak performance/conditioning. The schedules aren't out yet, but hopefully there will be a few races during this month to allow me to capitalize on this!
June goes back to a "Preparation" period to begin rebuilding after my peak.
July is another "Specialized" period.
In Aug., hopefully, I will Peak again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!