Monday, September 7, 2009

VO2 Max Study @ JMU

This week, I began the preliminary steps of a "caffeine trial" that JMU is conducting. This study will determine which caffeine-sensitive gene the test subject's liver has, and how that gene is effected by caffeine. The aim is to find which athletes do or don't respond to caffeine. (I think). Anyhow, I completed the VO2 Max test, which is a scientific way to say that you're curious about how efficiently your lungs use the oxygen that is in them. The test consisted of strapping a tube to my face (to monitor the air movement), wearing a heart rate monitor, and putting a computer in front of me (to record all the numbers), while riding a stationary trainer bike.
I found out the my VO2 Max is 59. Not too shabby considering 1) My age (32), and 2) The fact that I could probably train a little harder. In case you're wondering....Lance Armstrong's is 84!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!